It’s been going on for 400 years. Every year ending in 0: 1990, 2000, 2010… and this German cultural tradition was supposed to happen again in 2020.
The small Bavarian village of Oberammergau has become synonymous with the Passion Play – a recreation of the biblical story of Easter that consumes the entire village for over a year.
Today's audience will find it ironic that the origin of its performance was a prayer and promise to God to save the village from the plague in the 1600’s…
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE AS THE DIRECTOR AND THE VILLAGER WHO PLAYS ‘JESUS’ EXPLAIN THE HISTORY AND MAGIC OF THIS FAMOUS PERFORMANCE
For those with a Christian faith tradition, attending a play that's been performed for hundreds of years in celebration of the most significant Biblical story is a once – maybe twice? – in a lifetime opportunity. But you don’t have to be Christian to have Oberammergau on your bucket list.
So there was a lot of excitement leading up to Oberammergau 2020. Excitement that turned to fears that COVID-19 would make Oberammergau history by canceling the Passion Play.
Luckily, the faithful and those who had a once-in-a-decade experience on their bucket list will not miss what might be their only chance to visit Oberammergau.
Instead of canceling, the village will stage its Passion Play in 2022 instead, daily from Spring through Fall, just like it would have in 2020.
Travelers can still reach this village that becomes a global landmark every ten years. Or in this unusual era… twelve years.
There are many ways to reach Oberammergau in 2022. Land tour operators have worked a day or two in Oberammergau into tours of Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and also included Oberammergau into faith-based tours of Europe. Oberammergau is even included as a shore excursion from Danube and Rhine River cruises.
Joining a land tour or river cruise is by far the best way to 'do' Oberammergau - travel companies locked in blocks of the best seats years ago, as well as dining reservations during your time in this small village.
If you missed out booking a trip to Oberammergau in 2020 – or if you originally booked for 2020 - you have a second chance. Your chances are getting smaller, though, as many original bookings have rolled over to 2022 and people unable to travel for the past year have a new urgency to regain lost time and a 'Fear of Missing Out' of something most people will only have one chance in a lifetime to experience.
Ask your travel advisor your best options to still be able to enjoy this incredible play in 2022.
Copyright BestTrip.TV/Influence Entertainment Group Inc or Rights Holder. All rights reserved. You are welcome to share this material from this page, but it may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
- Get a Glimpse of Real New Zealand in the Fantasy World of the New Lord of the Rings Series
- 7 Festivals and Events that Make Hawaii Irresistible This Fall
- That's a 'First:' Norwegian Prima's Christening by Katy Perry Launches a Whole New Class of Ships
- The Caribbean Island Named #1 for Both Honeymoons - and Adventure!
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises' New Shore Excursions Immerse You in Ecology, Design
- How the Postponed Tokyo Olympic Games Will Feature Japan's National Sport
- Every 10 Years, This ‘World’s Fair’ of Flowers Upstages Netherlands’ Tulip Time. Don’t Miss Floriade 2022
- And Now For Some Good News In Travel
- Lie Flat Beds in Economy Class? This Airline Says, "Yes, You Can!"
- Milan's Shuttered Duomo will Ring with the Voice of an 'Angel' as Bocelli Performs Easter Concert