This chain of couples-only Caribbean resorts is serious about helping guests ‘get in the groove’ while on vacation. To celebrate its 40th anniversary, Sandals Resorts has launched an ‘Institute of Romance’ to research trends in couples’ relationships with a goal of helping keep the sparks a’ flying.
The new trend-house delves into data about modern love, relationships and intimacy… And how they relate to holidays.
Through global surveys of paired-up travelers and its past guests, Sandals’ Institute of Romance’s findings will help the resort chain develop activities and experiences in its resorts, and even relationship guidance for couples before, during and after their all-inclusive beach resort vacation.
One of their most stand-out discoveries: More than half (55%) of North American women wish their relationships mirrored the couples of their favorite romance novels.
Sandals is so serious about love, it has a ‘Director of Romance,’ who explains: “With 49% of women preferring to read on vacation – from the initial plane ride to beachside – and romance novel sales skyrocketing over the last two years, this felt like a natural place for us to lend our 40 years of expertise in the romance space.'
So Sandals decided the perfect next step: to partner with romance novel publisher, Avon Books.
Sandals Resorts is creating a 'romance library' of titles curated by the experts at Avon Books for guests to borrow while on vacation. Beginning at the Sandals resort in Grenada (pictured), the initial library will include a selection from the 'Michelangelo of dirty talk,' Tessa Bailey, as well as popular titles from Julia Quinn's “Bridgerton” series and authors Talia Hibbert, Olivia Dade and more.
Sandals’ Director of Romance says, 'With this partnership, we are helping bring to life the sometimes swoonworthy, but nearly always attainable relationships our guests read about in their favorite books, creating a meaningful and lasting connection on and off vacation.'
Do any of these stats that Sandals has discovered through its first survey of 1500 North American women sound like you?
· 81% say they read romance novels and
· 45% say they've increased their consumption of the genre over the last two years, citing the comfort of happily ever after (44%), the flirty banter (36%) and steamy scenes (30%) as the primary reasons!
They’ve even been able to narrow down the elements in romances between the pages of novels that are missing from many women’s relationships in real life, including:
· better communication (55%),
· spontaneous romantic gestures (54%), and
· and more satisfying sex life (34%).
Do any of those complaints sound familiar? Take ‘heart,’ Sandals is taking those cues and translating them into even better romantic beach getaways.
The resort company will be developing ways to prompt spontaneous romantic moments of connection throughout guests' stays – such as reminders to hold hands, ask a meaningful question or share a compliment.
Fantasy. Connection. Fulfillment. Romance novels and couples’ aspirations for their vacations have some things in common. The survey found that:
· Over a third (36%) of Sandals’ survey respondents shared that they fantasize about fictional characters more than their significant others,
· 55% say reading romance novels makes them more likely to want to connect with their partner and
· 38% say reading romance novels have made them feel more fulfilled in their relationships.
Nearly half (49%) of women surveyed say they've learned something from reading a romance novel that they've brought to their real-life relationships, with
· 53% engaging in more meaningful communication,
· 48% spicing up their love life and
· 35% setting time aside for romantic getaways.
Sharing a fictional fantasy can help make romance a reality.
'There's something inherently attractive when a partner takes an interest in something you're excited about – whether it be reading a new book from one of your favorite authors or trying a new activity together,” says Sandals’ Director of Romance.
“It's why we encourage couples to experience adventures together on vacation – from learning to scuba dive to taking in a round of golf. We always tell couples to be intentional about the time they share with each other; make it meaningful.”
Start your Romantic Beach Trip!
- This New Cruise Ship Bar Beat Out Restaurants, Hotels and More to Win “Best Beverage Menu” Award
- Get Refreshed at the Most Fabulous Fountains in Europe this Summer
- 10 Amazing New Museums to Visit in the U.S. in 2022
- Heartstopping Acrobatics and Spectacular Seaside Settings at Cliff Diving World Series
- Take a Walk on New Zealand's Wild Side on a Multi-Day 'Great Walk'
- Travel Companies Offering Free Vacations to Frontline Workers - and How You Can Get Involved
- How the Postponed Tokyo Olympic Games Will Feature Japan's National Sport
- And Now For Some Good News In Travel
- Milan's Shuttered Duomo will Ring with the Voice of an 'Angel' as Bocelli Performs Easter Concert
- Every 10 Years, This ‘World’s Fair’ of Flowers Upstages Netherlands’ Tulip Time. Don’t Miss Floriade 2022