In this BestTrip TV video, Lynn Elmhirst visits the famous Fogo Island Inn, on a remote fishing island in the North Atlantic off the shore of Newfoundland.
Not only is the Inn rated one of the top luxury lodges in the world, with award-winning and breathtaking architecture and design that still reflects the culture and craftsmanship of Fogo Island and Fogo Islanders. They call it 'hand-made modern,' and with only 30 rooms on this island that's 'far away from far away,' any trip is a ripe for memory-making, if not for the design or the dramatic natural surroundings, but for the opportunities the Inn creates for visitors to immerse themselves in the real life and lifestyle of this 400-year old fishing community.
The Fogo Island Inn is also the 'economic engine' of a foundation with a vision of a new way of creating spectacular tourism experiences that become a cornerstone of community economic benefit and cultural and social preservation, especially for small remote communities in danger of losing their identities, way of life, and even the entire community to the relentless march of modern life.
Lynn speaks to sister/ brother Zita Cobb and Alan Cobb, Innkeeper/ Founders of the Fogo Island Inn and Shorefast, the charity that strategically puts profits back into the local community to ensure it thrives in the modern world for generations to come.
Start your Island Trip!
All rights reserved. You are welcome to share this material from this page, but it may not be copied, re-published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Sandals Opens its Newest Resort with the 1st SkyPool Suites in Jamaica and a Return to its Roots
- Ultra-Luxury Hotel Opens in Chicago in the World’s Tallest Building Designed by a Woman
- Why Belfast is the Best Place to Experience the Legend of the Titanic
- Upgrades and Celebrations Mark the 50th Anniversary of Australia’s Architectural Icon: the Sydney Opera House
- Oceania Cruises Christens 1st New Ship in a Decade and Introduces new Wine, Spirits and Culinary Experiences
- Lie Flat Beds in Economy Class? This Airline Says, "Yes, You Can!"
- Every 10 Years, This ‘World’s Fair’ of Flowers Upstages Netherlands’ Tulip Time. Don’t Miss Floriade 2022
- How the Postponed Tokyo Olympic Games Will Feature Japan's National Sport
- Why This Mexican Mountain Town Keeps Getting Voted 'Best Small City In The World'
- And Now For Some Good News In Travel